Products of our Green Sand Molding
About our Green Sand Casting
The Green Sand Casting (or Sand Casting) is the most commonly used casting process, utilizes expendable sand molds to form complex metal parts that can be made of nearly any alloy, in today’s casting industry.
With Green Sand Casting, its versatility allows A&B’s produce small parts that weigh less than one pound or large parts that weight several tons. These casting parts are high quality and very cost effective.
Green Sand Benefits
This casting process is favored for many of its properties listed below:
- Less waste than other machining processes, especially since unused material can simply be added to the next mold.
- Enabling a wide range of shapes with a brief turnaround, especially when based on previously used molds or standard designs.
- Useful with all types of Green Sand Casting equipment and for a majority of alloys poured.
- Effective with components weighing ounces or tons.
How our Green Sand Casting Works
The Green Sand Casting begins with the creation of a pattern that duplicates the shape of the desired part.
First, sand (often called “silica sand”), water, clay and other composition are placed in a green sand mold. With applying pressure to the mold material, a mold can be compacted around a master pattern. This process utilizes a cope (top half) and drag (bottom half) flask set-up.
The cope and drag are then assembled and enable metal to be poured into it to produce a casting.
The process also uses coring to create cavities inside the casting.
After the casting is poured and has cooled, the sand mold separates along a parting line. The casting can be removed from the mold and the sand is recycled.
This process is used for volumes from one to thousands, and for small, simple parts to large, complex shapes. Holes and internal details can be cast using removable sand cores, made from core boxes.
Advantages of Green Sand Casting
The Green Sand Casting enables A&B’s foundry to leverage the cost savings, process efficiency and flexibility of vertical casting technology.
The material costs for Green Sand Casting are low and this process is exceptionally flexible. The mold material is also reclaimable, with between 90 and 95% of the sand being recycled, although new sand and additions are required to make up for the discarded loss.
These features, combined with the relative ease of mold production, have ensured that the green sand molding process has remained as the principal method by which castings are produced.
The properties of Green Sand Casting are:
- Least expensive and most widely used casting process;
- Very flexible in shape, size, material and quantity, even intricate shapes;
- Castings can be up to several tons;
- Inexpensive tooling costs;
- Can be used with most pourable metals and alloys;
- Short lead time possible;
- Scrap can be recycled.
As a sand casting manufacturer, A & B Foundry offers Green Sand Casting services which produce better molds.