Products of our Air Set Molding
About our Air Set Molding
The Air Set Molding process is used for extremely large castings with highly complex geometries. Molds are comprised of chemically bonded dry sand and are suitable for complex shapes with multiple center sections.
- Aluminum alloys including Series 200, 300, 500 and 700 Aluminum
- Casting weights can exceed 7500 lb (3410 kg)
How our Air Set Molding Works
Air Set Molding, sometimes referred to as “No-bake molding”, is much more competitive with us.
This process often forms a two-part mold made of silica sand mixed with furan and urethane binders, having a top and bottom, termed cope and drag. There are six steps in this process:
- Place a pattern in sand to create a mold.
- Incorporate a gating system.
- Then the pattern is removed with the channel plug, leaving the mold cavity.
- Fill the mold cavity with molten metal.
- Allow the metal to cool.
- After the metal has solidified and cooled, break away the sand mold and remove the casting.
The process requires graded kiln dried sand, which is mechanically mixed with a resin to bind the sand together. A chemical hardener is then added to the sand mix, which reacts with the binder and begins to set the sand into a solid form.
Advantages of our Air Set Molding
Air Set Molding was developed as a production process to help compensate for the ever-increasing demands of the casting buyer.
With A&B, Air Set Molding is best suited to larger, heavier, and intricate castings. And sand used can be kept to a minimum without compromising quality so production costs are reduced.
We use state of the art foundry equipment on our Air Set Molding, which allows 100% reclamation of the primary raw material, sand.
This process keeps production costs to a minimum without compromising quality.
The advantages of the A&B’s Air Set Molding are achieved through the use of fine grain silica and a no-bake process.
- Parts in 2-5 weeks
- Simulates larger casting parts for appearance and properties
- Low cost tooling allows for ease of geometry modification
- Excellent production method for programs that can’t justify hard tooling
- Superior metallurgical characteristics
We utilize an environmentally friendly binder system that allows us to maximize the benefits that Air Set Molding process can offer.